Do you know the many services which Europe's forest ecosystems deliver to us? Are you working to ensure that the prosperity and benefits provided by forests to citizens will continue for the future? Then this event is for you – to meet key players in the field, get new insights, follow the debates, and have your say on what needs to be done and how the EU can help.
Europe's forest ecosystems...
- are often mainly seen only as a provider of wood for the bioeconomy and for energy generation – but provide many more functions and services e.g. carbon capture and storage, erosion protection , drinking water, flood prevention, clean air, biodiversity, and recreation;
- therefore contribute to our health, wellbeing and prosperity in many respects, beyond the production of timber;
- are under stress and are increasingly vulnerable: droughts, storms, fires and pests becomes more frequent and intense as a result of climate change; demand for wood and biomass is on the rise; and habitat changes are an important factor for the continued loss of biodiversity.
- focuses on forest ecosystem services and benefits beyond the production of wood;
- is about ensuring balanced approaches, and about preserving and appropriately managing Europe's forest ecosystems and forested landscapes;
- will bring together key players working in these fields;
- will bring the main challenges on the table, raise awareness, showcase good examples and practical solutions;
- will discuss what needs to be done and how EU action can provide support and added value.
'Beyond Wood' will take place on the day after the International Day for Biological Diversity, and prior to the European Commission's Natura 2000 Award Ceremony (on the same day) and EU Green Week 2016 (30 May to 3 June).